John Thirtle (1777-1839) did a painting of the inside of the priory with the rood screen standing in its original position. It will be seen immediately, that while the rood beam is still present, the rood loft has been removed. The Screen is of three bays each side.
The Cotman painting (in colour) seems remarkably similar, apart from the human interest angle. The lower parts of the aisle windows are boarded up in the Cotman painting, but only the right one in the Thirtle. In both pictures however, it is interesting to note that there is a low wall (stone coloured rather than wood) in the central arch; there are also small pieces of tracery protruding from the both sides, part of which may still be seen on the left hand side. It is probable therefore that the easterly bays of the north aisle were separated from the main body of the church - probably as a Lady Chapel.
And what is the drapery in both pictures on the south screen?
When the North Aisle was demolished and the arches filled in, the Rood Screen was taken down. The Rood beam and the screen tracery were destroyed, and the dado (the lower painted panels) were put on one side while the work was undertaken. Of the six bays of the screen only four and a panel remain, and these have moved about the church ever since, as can be seen from the pictures below.