The Priory Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross,
|Parish & Community||Building & History||Other Churches in the Group|
White's Directory 1854
BINHAM is a considerable village and parish, 5 miles S.E. by E. of Wells, which comprises 511 souls, 84 houses, and 2,245a. 1r. 7p. of land, of which Thos. T. Clarke, Esq., is principal owner and lord of the manor in which the copyholds are on the tenure of "Smockhold," noticed with Barney. The inhabitants had the grant of a market from Henry I., to be held on Wednesday, and a fair on the vigil of St. Mary, and three following days ; and the latter is still continued on July 26th.
Binham PRIORY was founded by Peter Lord Valoins, a nephew of the Norman Conqueror, for monks of the Benedictine Order, as a cell to the Abbey of St. Alban's. The ruins form a highly interesting and picturesque object, and the nave of its once spacious conventual church is appropriated as the Parish Church, the western front exhibiting a beautiful specimen of the architecture of the 14th century.
The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 13s. 4d., augmented with £800 Royal Bounty, and £ 200 given by Thos. T. Clarke, Esq., the patron, and laid out in 36a. of land at Bodham. The Rev. Wm. Upjohn, M.A., of Field Dalling, is the incumbent.
Here is a National School, and T. T. Clarke, Esq., supports a school, in which 25 girls are educated and partly clothed.The shaft of an ancient cross stands at the end of the village, where the market was formerly held. The Town Estate, 16a. 3r. 26p. of land, and certain premises, mostly received in exchange for land given by two maiden ladies, produces £41 5s. a year, which is expended in coals and apprenticing poor children. The rent of 7a. 2r. 30p[.] of land, left by Nath. Hooke, in 1623, is let for £10 10s., and laid out in clothing for the poor. The sum of £3 15s., as the rent of 3a. 2r. 23p. of land, the gift of C. Ringer, in 1678, is divided among 20 poor widows. Post Office at Zebulon Noughton's ; letters arrive at 12 a.m., and are despatched at 1.20 p.m.
Those marked * reside in Westgate.
Inns & Taverns.
Grcrs. & Drprs.