The Priory Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross,

Binham

Home
Parish & Community Building & History Other Churches in the Group

White's Directory 1883

Binham

5 miles SE by E of Wells, and 3 miles NE by E of Walsingham, is a parish and large village in Walsingham Union, Fakenham county court district, North Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, Hindringham polling district in North Norfolk, Walsingham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 478 in habitants in 1881, living on 2,242 acres and has a rateable value of £3,021. Thomas Truesdale Clarke Esq of Uxbridge, is principal owner and lord of the manor, in which the copyholds are on the tenure called "smockhold".

[continues as 1854 with only slight variations of wording]

Church (St Mary) only the nave, with the chief part of the grand western front, and fragments of the aisles, transepts, central tower and chancel remain. Excepting the west facade, the whole is in the Early Norman styles of architecture, and doubtless constituted part of the original structure. The nave has probably always been appropriated as the parish church, and to this circumstance may be ascribed its preservation. It consists of seven bays, with massive square piers having shafts in the nooks at the angles; the outer arch moulded, the inner plain. The triforium arches are the same as the lower ones; and the clerestory windows have each small arches on the sides with bold detached shafts; the centre arch stilted with small shafts in the angles on the caps of the large ones. Some few of the westernmost arches of the triforium and clerestory are, however, of the Early English period. The west front is an elegant specimen of Early English architecture, its lower portion having a rich arcade with perforated panels in the spandrils and under the side arches, and a grand central doorway with fine mouldings and varieties of the enriched tooth ornament. Over this arcade is a magnificent window, now mostly bricked up, but originally consisting of two principal lights and a foliated circle in the head, each light subdivided in a similar manner. There are also lateral doorways in the ends of the aisles, with tall two-light widows over them, singularly divided at about a third of their height by transoms and sub-arches, and having quatrefoils in their heads. On the gable is a small bell-cot containing one bell. The font is of the Perpendicular period; it is much mutilated, but its upper panels appear to have contained representations of the Seven sacraments and of the Trinity, and its lower one, single figures of saints in niches. Some of the old seat remain, with poppies and perforated backs, but the church is mostly filled with pews. There are also a few good Perpendicular stalls.

[continues as 1854 except -]

Incumbent is the Rev R C Cavell. The vicarage house was erected in 1866, partly by subscription, and partly by a grant and a loan of £400 from Q A B. The Primitive Methodist Chapel was erected in 1868. The National School, with the master's house attached, was built in 1815, and is attended by 60 children. At the east end of the village is the lofty shaft of an ancient cross, where the market was formerly held. The Town Estate comprises two cottages, the Chequers public House, and 16a 3r 26p of land, mostly received at the enclosure in exchange for land given by two maiden ladies. The rents amounting to £41 5s a year are applied in apprenticing poor children and in a distribution of 7 chaldrons of coal. The rent of 7a 2r 30p of land in Hindringham, left by Nathaniel Hooke in 1693, and now let for £10 10s is distributed in duffel for coats among poor married labourers. The poor widows have divide equally amongst them £7 yearly, as the rent of 2a 2r 23p of land, left by Christopher Ringer in 1678.
Post Office at Mr Robert Harmer's. Letters arrive at 8.30 am and are despatched at 2.50 pm, via Wells. Walsingham is the nearest Money Order Office.

Cavell Rev Robert Corry vicar
Clubb Charles farmer, Westgate farm
Copeman William cattle dealer
Curson Edward Thomas watchmaker
England Miss The Cottage
England Richard Esq JP and farmer, Hindringham
Fox Miss Maria shopkeeper
Gotts George H vict Chequers
Grange Thos Chas vict King's Arms
Harmer Robt grocer and postmaster
Harris Richard farmer
Hook Thomas tailor
Horner George gamekeeper
Howard Robert farmer
Langley Thomas blacksmith
Massingham Head Blacksmith
Middleton Hugh farmer
Nelson John baker and confectioner
Overton Rd Kirby grocer and draper
Papes George & Son joiners, builders and bricklayers
Papes John parish clerk
Peacock Henry ironfounder
Pointen Henry pork butcher
Purdy John surgeon, butcher, and at Wells and Blakeney
Ramm James bootmaker
Smith Robert beerhouse
Watson Arthur John sadler; h Little Walsingham
Winfield Mrs Caroline schoolmistress